As the UK’s first vegan pizzeria, Purezza serves up a host of plant-based pizzas, as well as Italian comfort-food classics. Come for the chewy sourdough bases and stringy vegan mozzarella and whatever you do, don’t forget to order a side of dough balls.
About Purezza pizza Camden
Purezza’s Italian founders, who opened their first restaurant in 2015, are dedicated to creating vegan dishes that taste even better than the originals. The restaurant now has branches in Camden, Brighton and Hove and is aiming to launch in Bristol in the near future. Everything at this eatery is vegan and as an added bonus, there’s plenty of gluten-free options on the menu too.
Purezza prides itself on its family sourdough recipe, which is made from type 2 flour which is left to mature for 48 hours for extra fluffiness. The owners have paid equal attention to developing their vegan cheese and spent two years creating an Italian, brown-rice mozzarella that has half the fat of regular cheese. Dishes are also made with ricotta, creamy coconut and raw cashew cheeses.
How to visit Purezza
- Address: 45-47 Parkway, Camden NW1 7PN
- Getting there: closest tube Camden Town
- Opening times: Sunday to Thursday: 12pm – 10pm, Friday and Saturday: 12pm – 11pm
You can also order from all three Purezza branches on Deliveroo and there’s a click and collect option via the website. If you’re visiting in person, walk-ins are welcome or you can make an online reservation.
What’s on the menu?
- Courgetti spaghetti – £4.95
- Garden bowl salad – £3.50
- Dough balls – £5.95
- Harissa corn and peanuts – £3.50
- Fermented cheese platter – £11.95
The main event is the pizza menu, which features 10 varieties priced from £8.95 to £13.95. You can choose from a regular sourdough, hemp flour or gluten-free base, including:
- The Margherita one (£9.95) a red tomato base with mozzarella, basil leaves and extra virgin olive oil.
- The one with the truffle (£13.95) with a black truffle base and mozzarella with a topping of mushrooms, herbs and wood smoked tofu.
- The one that’s telling porkies (£12.95) a white base with melted cheddar and covered in mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and marinated pulled BBQ pork pieces
Non-pizza dishes at Purezza range from £10.95 to £12.95 and include vegan Italian dishes such as a cheesesteak calzone and these three gluten-free meals:
- Pure bowl (£10.95)
- Lasagna Classica (£12.95)
- The circle of life raw pizza (£10.95)
Fancy a dessert? Choose from a simple scoop of gelato for £3.95 or a more decadent dish such as the cashew dream, a raw take on Tiramisu, or a strawberry cheesecake.
My thoughts on Purezza
I love the convenience of the Purezza location in Camden, it’s also a big restaurant with plenty of seating and an open kitchen so you can see the pizzas being scooped out of the oven. Purezza is also dog-friendly and has an outdoor area, with good spacing between tables for Covid safety. You can also grab takeaway to enjoy in nearby Regents Park if the weather’s good.
We really enjoyed the cheesy dough balls and rustic sourdough bread and thought the dishes were filling and good value for money. I wish we’d opted for a tomato or mozzarella-based pizza as the cheddar ‘one that’s telling porkies’ pizza ended up being too much like the doughballs, although the vegan pork pieces had an authentic flavour. It was definitely a cheese overload!